We are fascinated by original concepts or fresh twists on genre tropes. We believe in the power of author voices, and we want your unique take to shine out in every part of your submission. If it’s weird or crazy, we’d love to see it! At the same, the concepts must work. All of our acquired stories go through a thorough critiquing and editing process to ensure the new ideas have the best chance of turning a profit. This focus on new concepts and solid story telling equals quality books!
UUP is a small press with big ideas. We do provide a modest advance to authors for acquiring their work. Acquired stories also receive professional editing, cover design, typesetting, and distribution. We also explore marketing and merchandising opportunities for each book. As the author, you bring the passion for your story that no one can match–not even us after we’ve had coffee! We expect authors to be active on social media, to have a solid online presence, and to be willing partner with the press in new marketing endeavors.
We’re looking for strong genre speculative fiction, from urban fantasy to mythology to horror to steampunk to paranormal romance. We also want imaginative world building that integrates with the plot. This can be as simple as species in an otherwise human world, or as complex as an interplanetary epic with many cultures, but we want to see world building that impacts the characters and story instead of just serving as a backdrop. Invite us into stories that can only take place with dragons or cytoplasmic aliens or talking park benches. Your imagination is the limit!
We are a general market press that wants YA, NA, and adult stories tackling intense themes, hard conflicts, and high-stakes situations (preferably balanced with touches of humor and/or romantic relationships).
We are also looking for complex outcast characters who push the plot and feel as real as the person next door. We want people who have been dealt a difficult hand, whether due to outside circumstances, their own stupid decisions, or a mixture of both.
We are open to a variety of content as long as it fits the story and is tastefully done. We do not publish stories with graphic sexual situations or graphic violence.
We are open to acquiring previously self-published work.
We’re always looking to acquire:
- Novels (50,000 – 150,000 words) and novellas (20,000 – 50,000 words)
- YA or adult
- Completed manuscripts, edited and spell-checked
- Complex characters
- Unique World Building, Outcast Characters, Intense Conflicts, High Stakes. The skillful inclusion of humorous elements and/or romantic elements is a plus. See the Asylum Press page for details on horror, thriller, and suspense.
Qualities we look for in authors:
- Can-Do Attitude
- Social Media Presence
- Team Player
- Accessibility (answering email)
- Flexibility and adaptability
Book Production Includes:
- Formatting for eBooks and paperbacks
- Professional Cover design with author input
- Marketing materials, with option for additional work at discounted rate
- Distribution to major online retailers
- Marketing through our website and social media platforms, including virtual launch parties and author events
- Sales presence at conventions
- 12 pt Times New Roman font
- 1-inch margins
- .docx or .doc format
- Page break between chapters
- Chapter headings bolded, all caps, with two spaces between chapter heading and text